Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Introduction to OT

The introduction got me really excited to read. My goal is to come closer to my Savior. I feel like I am lacking in that area and excited to learn and grow.
At the beginning it even says that the prophets both old and modern, have stressed the priceless value of the Old Testament in assisting men to know God.
In a paragraph on the first page asks a series or 6 questions
1- Does your desire to study the scriptures come from a desire to learn more about God and his dealings with his Children?
2- Are you seeking to draw power from the scriptures in order to perfect your life by coming to Christ?
3- Do you want to learn more of God and those who were faithful to him?
4- Would you be inspired by examples of men and women who overcame their weaknesses and went on to perfection?
5- Would you like to find principles of daily living that bring you closer to God?
6- Would you like to better know Jehovah, the Lord Jesus Christ, who came to the earth as our Redeemer?
Then turn to the Old Testament, for it is a witness of his divinity, his love, and his mercy.
It just went on and on about if you desire to come to know God and pay the price (study and pray) then you will have a relationship with him. I also liked that the same promise was given as keeping the word of wisdom. I really thought that was cool.
Now about the priceless part - it lists 4 things that Paul said about the Old Testament:
1- They are able to make one wise unto Salvation
2- They are given by the inspiration of God
3- They are profitable for doctrine, reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness
4- They help the man of God become perfect and fully equipped for every good work (I like this one especially)
At the very end it talked about how important our family histories are and encouraged us to write in our journals and keep a personal history. And also make the study of the OT as part of our journal. (I think this blog counts too. But I am sure I will write some insights in my journal too.)
I am so excited to read - and glad I had a chance to reread this part so that I could post my comments about it. Thanks for studying with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment