Sunday, July 25, 2010

Genesis (Chapters 1&2 in the study guide)

I really don't have a lot to say about the first few chapters in Genesis as they are pretty well self explanatory. There were a few things in the Study guide though that caught my attention.

I find it very interesting that the Lord didn't want his teachings to be misconstrued by those who were trying to destroy it and so he taught in parables. Thus if a person who is trying to destroy the gospel is listening he would believe it to be a story, and if a person was listening with the intent of learning of the gospel and he was spiritually ready to truly 'Hear' what the Lord was talking about he would understand the parable. I found it very refreshing that he was able to teach the gospel to people without others being able to destroy it. It is interesting to me to think about the parables now knowing this and seeing how much he must have loved us to teach us in parables.

I loved how they talk about the 7 keys for understanding the Old Testament.

1. Constant, Diligent, and prayerful study is the major factor in understanding the scriptures.
2. Coupled with prayerful study must be a commitment to live the commandments
3. Latter-day scriptures give many insights into the old testament
4. Knowledge that the gospel was known to the ancients provides the means accurate interpretation of their teachings.
5. Understanding the nature of God provides special insight.
6. The nature and purposes of God's Covenants with his children are important
7. Putting ourselves in the place of the ancients as we read the scriptures is an important part of studying the Old Testament

These 7 keys are vital to learning and growing from the Old Testament.

The first few chapters of Genesis are pretty self explanatory, but the study guide does go into quite a bit of detail with many of the concepts. It explains the different parts of the creation and tells about the commandments given to Adam and Eve in the Garden. I found it interesting that they really emphasized the meaning of marriage and multiplying and replenishing the earth.

Overall I found this chapter of reading very insightful. What did you think???

2 comments:

  1. I really liked what it said in the study guide too.
    I like what it said about Adam and Eve and who they were and their roles yet to come. Adam will return to earth and will lead the armies of God in the last battle.
    That when it says "in the beginning" it means the beginning of this earth. It was just nice to put it that way to get it strait in my head finally, like one of those "ah ha" moments.
    I also liked the quote by Brigham Young that said "All men know there is a God even though some have forgotten that they know."
    The council in heaven was interesting though. It said that the head God called together the Gods....I thought I read somewhere (but I cannot find it right now) that the Gods were those who counseled with our God about how to go about forming this earth. How cool is that.
    This is going to be a long comment can you tell.
    The other thing that struck me is that when it said that the spirit moved upon the earth - I never really thought about it as the light of Christ - but how they define that it almost sounds like the priesthood. Any ideas
    Also I will agree with you about the amount of references to the family. That man is complete with husband and wife. They are whole. And the Lord made it that way. "He knew what he was doing."
    First Flesh - meaning that he was the first mortal. I think that I have never really pondered these things - just read, so it was neat to know these little insights.
    The other part that was long but insightful was about evolution. It is nice to know that there is a order to everything. It is funny when you mess with genetics it doesn't go to far. Cross a horse and a donkey - you get a mule which is sterile. It cannot reproduce. So much for evolution and Darwin's theory

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot one that I thought was cool too. In Chapter 1:14 I liked that it stated that time was created for man. (Time is not necessarily created by man then) and that we were given signs, seasons, days, years - something to measure.

    ReplyDelete